"Ou Voor" inspection – 30 March 2009.
Brian Ratcliffe and Martin Thompson were the leaders for the morning, Brian doing the top section in Constantia and Martin lower section in Meadowridge / Bergvliet. 10 of us set off to establish the condition of the "Ou Voor".
Brian explained a little of the
history, the beginings of the "voor" or water ditch was dug by slave
labour in the 1700's.
It extends to all the way down to
Dreyersdal vlei and joined the Keysers River near White Road in Retreat.
We met in the car park off
Martin showed us the mapped route.
Contractors were busy clearing
and other These two characters stopped to pose
Brian explaining some of the
work Some of the exposed old clay bank used
Part of the group on the wall
the The water body is chocked presently with a variety of
This landowner has transgressed a
number of building regulations, damaging historical artifacts and has
Local dumping by contractors to
the next door The "voor" leads under the Constantia Main Road
Looking west down Constantia Main
Road, across Across the road and overlooking the
Old Sillery farm.
Overlooking the old farm, with a
partially Just off Roderick Way, we are being shown a land
The contractors have cleared some
the It is like a "jungle" idown there. The contractors
We are off Brounger Road looking
north The "voor" follows the tree line just east of the farm
This is all that remains of the head wall on Firgrove Way.
In Airlie Road, Bergvliet this headwall crosses the "voor". At this point is is used as a stormwater drain.
On to Dreyersdal Farm, with the beautifully restored Long House on the right. Belonging to the Louw family.
The "voor" used to run
along the outside of this
wall. It has
become a stormwater drain across the
The manor house also kept in good
condition. The "voor" leads down to past the head wall in the