Zandvlei Trust

ZANDVLEI CATCHMENT FORUM

Minutes of meeting held on Wednesday, 11th November 2015 at 09:30 at SanParks, Cape Research Centre, Tokai.

Present.

Name Initial Organization Represented Position
Abdulla Parker AP CoCT TCT Chairman
Na-eem Davids ND CoCT TCT-Intern Secretary
Shihabuddeen Khan SK BMB (CoCT) -
Jean Fillis JF F O Kirstenhof Wetlands -
Andrea von Guntan AG BMB (CoCT) -
Gavin Lawson GL ZVT -
John Fowkes JF ZVT -
Sandra Fowkes SF ZPAAC -
Bob Craske BC Marina da Gama -
Eugene Moll EM VWC -
Fay Howa FH CoCT City Parks -
Chandre Rhoda CR CoCT Green Jobs Unit -
Jenny Clover JC Self (Consultant) -
Alvina Brand AB CoCT Green Jobs Unit -
Melissa Tang MT CoCT Water Pollution Control -
Sarah Chippendale SC CoCT Environmental Resource Management -
Sithembile Shezi SS SanParks -
Talcott Persent TP CoCT TCT-Maintenance -
Hilton Scholtz HS CoCT TCT-Informal Settlements -
Jess Kavonic JK ICLEI -
Gavin Heugh GH CoCT City Health -
Stephen Granger SG CoCT Environmental Resource Management -
James Rawlings JR FOCVGB  -

-

1. WELCOME AND PURPOSE OF THE MEETING
The Chairman welcomed all to the meeting and handed out copies of the Agenda and previous Minutes. Abdulla Parker acknowledged everyone and thanked Gavin Lawson for his dedication and assistance with the re-establishment of the Forum, also explained the relevance of National Water Act (Act 36 of 1998) in establishing catchment forums.

2. ATTENDANCE AND APOLOGIES
Attendance register included at the begining of minutes. The following apologies were recorded:Candice Haskins, Suretha Dorse, Heidi Nieuwoudt, Mandy Noffke,
Joy Garmen, Mogamat Kippie, Malcolm Cupido, Brendon Fortein, Justin Smit, Sharon McCallum,
Joshua Gericke, Martin Thompson and Linda Ndela.

3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING (29th July 2015) – CORRECTIONS / ACTIONS
The minutes from the previous meeting was scanned and forwarded to everyone beforehand. The only correction was Councillor Liz Brunette advised that she had submitted an apology. Minutes were approved and Sharron McCullum was thanked (in her absence) for undertaking the minutes in the past.*Abdulla Parker then used the opportunity and went through the TCT presentation and explained the various departmental mandates and the history of TCT. AP said the term “Roads and Stormwater” doesn’t exist anymore and appealed to everyone to use the new terminology- “Stormwater and Sustainability” and “Asset Management and Maintenance” Branches. Eugene Moll explained that he came from an environmental background (Biodiversity and Conservation Biology) and raised the concern that it appears TCT has adopted an engineering approach to water management without any ecological reference. AP mentioned this was not the case and he would forward the full TCT/Planning/S&S presentation indicating the mandate that included the ecological (environmental aspects) to EM.
Action AP.

4. ELECTION OF NEW CHAIRPERSON AND VICE-CHAIRPERSON
Abdulla explained that in terms of the National Water Act and Sustainable Integrated Water Resource Management it is essential that the Chairperson and Vice- Chairperson comes from the catchment area to ensure that the catchment for a could continue in the future and be sustainable. The City of Cape Town will still assist with various administrative duties. Abdulla nominated Bob Craske as Chairperson (seconded by Fay Howa). Cllr Brunette nominated Eugene Moll as Vice-Chairperson (seconded by Sandra Fowkes). Abdulla asked whether Sharron McCallum could be re-elected as secretary, everyone agreed.

5. SAND RIVER CATCHMENT FORUM (SRCF) NAME CHANGE
Cllr Brunette says she feels SRCF is appropriate and supports it. Gavin Lawson explained the background  why the area was called the Sand River Catchment and supported the name change to Zandvlei Catchment Forum (ZCF). Cllr Brunette mentioned that Zandvlei is at the receiving end. Stephen Granger raised the concern that the Sand River is unknown to most people and it is inaccurate. SG further mentioned that he supported the name change as Zandvlei is the receiving water body of all actions happening upstream. Cllr Brunette agreed and acknowledged there is another Sand River and was now in support of the new name. All in agreement of the new name: ZANDVLEI CATCHMENT FORUM (ZCF).

6. DISCUSSION ON DEMARCATION OF CATCHMENT AREA
Abdulla Parker said that Martin Thompson kept a hard copy of the catchment map and that the only area under discussion was the inclusion/exclusion of Princess Vlei. Gavin Lawson indicated that although Princess Vlei is part of another catchment; historically it was designed to overflow into the Little Princess Vlei (made reference to a map dating to 1700’s and included the history of the area). Abdulla introduced the concepts of catchment transfer and stormwater water balance and said that any activities that affected/impacted on the ZCF area had to be included and he was in favour of the inclusion of Princess Vlei as part of the ZCF area. Talcott Persent added that Princess Vlei falls within the boundary of District 8 and also supported the inclusion. Cllr Brunette asked if the Princess Vlei Forum will be included in the ZCF? Abdulla replied that he will invite a member of the PVF to the next ZCF meeting.Stephen Granger added that historically there was a connection and supported the inclusion.
Consensus was reached and Princess Vlei to be retained as part of the ZCF.

7. PRESENTATION BY ERM DEPARTMENT ON THE INVASIVE SPECIES CONTROL PROGRAMME- CHANDRE RHODA (GREEN JOBS)
Please refer to the attached presentation:· Bob Craske enquired if material is removed after treatment?Chandre replied that it was dependent on the type of species and the location.Talcott Persent added that in the past TCT collaborated with the Green Jobs Unit to remove species.· Guttural Toad Programme:A request was made for the various sounds of toads as it is difficult to identify them apart.Chandre reiterated that if there are any queries to contact them and they will send someone out; queries/questions to be forwarded to the following email address:Invasive.species@capetown.gov.za 
Jean Fillis asked Chandre to explain what typha was? Did it require to be controlled and resprayed?”Alivina Brand indicated the method used included kilomax.· Concerns raised about the community not happy with methods of planting and wasteful expenditure (Cllr Penny East) Chandre explained that Richard should be present at the next meeting as she was not in a position to comment.

8. BRIEF UPDATE ON ZANDVLEI PAAC (PROTRECTED AREAS ADVISORY COMMITTEE)- SHIHABUDDEEN KHAN
Shihabuddeen Khan indicated that Joshua Gericke had to attend another meeting and that he would provide the update:Since our last meeting, a Protected Areas Advisory Committee (PAAC) was formed for Zandvlei Estuary Nature Reserve. This committee is legally constituted and has adopted a code of conduct. To date this committee had three meetings and these meetings are held on a quarterly basis. Meeting is chaired by Damian Gibbs.

9. EXPLANATION OF ACTION PLAN MATRIX- ABDULLA PARKER
Abdulla Parker presented the TCT 8 Districts and the respective District 6 and 8 boundaries indicating the various heads. AP said an action plan matrix includes various items/problems within the catchment with the responsible official/department also indicated; therefore it’s easier to follow-up whether the relevant item has been resolved. AP then presented the integrated stormwater maintenance budget for District 8: Repair & Maintenance budget, EPWP & the Kader Asmal programme which is run by the Green Jobs Unit. 
Action AP: TCT District map to be forwarded to everyone.

9.1 POLLSMOOR PRISON PROGRESS REPORT-MELISSA TANG
1) Following some poor sample results recorded in the Pollsmoor Dam and various health issues at the Prison, Gideon Topley from Environmental Health and Melissa Tang were invited to a meeting at Pollsmoor Prison by Linda Fortuin from the Prison.
2) The Area Commissioner also attended the meeting and requested that he be kept informed of all issues at the Prison related to the pollution of the Westlake River, among other matters.
3) It was decided to form a Task Team: for now, comprising of Mrs Fortuin, Mrs Mtwala, Mr Theunissen, Mr de Vos (all from Dept of Correctional Services -DCS working at Pollsmoor), Mr Mathongo (from Dept of Public Works -DPW, Mr Topley -from City’s Environmental Health, Ms Tang from the City’s Water Pollution Control, and Busasa the company who has the tender to provide the food on site. This task team would be responsible for meeting on a regular basis to put forward and resolve issues on both sides, much like the ZCF.
4) The DPW confirmed that they completed a full evaluation of the sewer lines at the Prison and have found no cross connection from the sewer into the stormwater and vice versa. There is a report to this effect which they would make available.
5) DCS officials believed that sewage is getting into the stormwater system via overflows of the sewers into the stormwater, mainly caused when sewer lines blocked (this was due to many factors such as vandalism by the prisoners, fats and solids from the kitchen blocking the lines etc). A contractor was available to unblock these blockages as soon as DCS become aware of these blockages and their mandate was to unblock any sewer lines within 24 hours. Even with all this in place, there would be discharges of sewage into the Westlake River on a fairly regular basis and we needed to find a solution or mitigating measure for this.
6) DCS wanted to be absolutely positive that their stormwater system was discharging into the Westlake River and wanted to know what the latest quality of their stormwater was.From this meeting it was decided by CoCT’s WPC to conduct a dye test on a section of the stormwater system on the Pollsmoor site identified as most likely to be contributing pollution to the River to determine if this area discharged to the River. This test confirmed that the stormwater system downstream from the kitchens at Medium B and Awaiting Trial Prisons discharged directly into the Westlake River at the point where I have been taking my samples for the last few years. The results of this test will be communicated to DCS at a meeting taking place 13.11.2015.In the coming month WPC will be taking bacteriological and hydro-chemical samples in the River to determine the quality of the stormwater coming from this section of the Prison into the Westlake River. WPC will also be inspecting the kitchens mentioned above to determine how kitchen waste is being discharged into the stormwater system and we will give DCS some practical solutions to their housekeeping problems. This will hopefully assist in minimising wastewater and solids from the kitchen entering the stormwater system. WPC will also inspect how solids are getting into their sewer system, thus causing blockages.

9.2 INFORMAL SETTLEMENTS- HILTON SCHOLTZ
Hilton Scholtz introduced himself as the Manager: TCT Informal Settlements Network and explained that he is responsible for unblocking, providing sufficient access and services to informal settlements (from a stormwater perspective).
The following informal settlements were identified as impacting on the ZCF:

1. Vrygrond-Village Heights
2. Coniston Park
3. Westlake Village 
4. Die Gaitjie
5. Bonnytown.

*Please note that this is not a final list and some of the informal settlements fall outside the catchment/district, but due to their potential impact they are included.

10. GENERAL DISCUSSION
10.1 Source to Sea Project (S2S)
Please refer to presentation by Stephen Granger, regarding the Source to Sea Project.AIM: To restore river corridors to that they are ecologically, socially and economically sustainable.
10.2 Identification of stakeholders invited to ZCF but did not attend:

  • Princess Vlei Forum
  • Wine Farms
  • Water and Sanitation (National Department)

 10.3 Gavin Lawson asked if the minutes could be published on the ZVT website.

11. NEXT MEETING
The next meeting was set for the 16th February 2016.


                                                                                                                                                

Top of page  Back  Home