Monthly Report for June 2011
1.1 Control measures:
On the 17th of June, there was alien clearing done at Soralia Village with four casual workers from The Link. We removed a truck load of alien vegetation and 4 black bags of litter. There are still alien trees in thick bush which will need a day to move because the vegetation needs to be cut down before you can get to cutting down the trees. I will do a progress report in six
months time to see how much alien vegetation has come up.
It was a total of 48 hours of alien clearing, eight people in total.
1: Brush on truck.
2: The helpers.
- 1 x Felis silvestris catus (Domestic Cat)
- 8 x Pternistis capensis ( Cape Spurfowl)
- 60 x Serinus canicollis (Cape Canary)
- 2 x Elanus caeruleus (Black-shouldered Kite)
- 5 x Cacosternum platys (Common Caco)
- 4 x Prinia maculosa (Karoo Prinia)
- 2 x Otomys irroratus (Vlei Rat droppings)
- 11 x Crematogaster peringueyi (Cocktail Ant nests)
- 1 x Vanessa cardui (Painted Lady)
- 1 x Bradypterus baboecala (Little Rush- Warbler)
- 1 x Larus hartlaubii (Hartlabís Gull)
- 12 x Estrilda astrild (Common Waxbills)
- 2 x Pycnonotus capensis ( Cape bulbul)
- 2 x Passer domesticus ( House Sparrow)
- 1 x female Nectarinia chalybea ( Lesser Double collared sunbird)
- 2 x male Nectarinia chalybea (Lesser Double Collared sunbird)
- 1 x Pelecanus onocrotalus (White Pelican -fly over)
- 6 x Plectropterus gambensis (Spurwing Geese - fly over)
- 1 x Hyperolius horstockii (Arum Lily Frog)
- 2 x female Bradypodion pumilum ( Cape Dwarf chameleon)
Muizenberg East Sighting
- 1 x Elanus caeruleus (Black-shouldered Kite)
- 6 x Passer domesticus ( House Sparrow)
- 10 x Sturnus vulgaris ( European Starling)
3. Site Inspections and Safety Checks
3.1 Soralia Village
A site visit was done on the 17th of June. The concert pipes were removed by MSP and a drain cover was put on the open drain. The landscaper removed all the weeds in the landscaped area and cleared the pathway. MSP was fast and efficient dealing with the various problems.
- I attended a site meeting on the 7th of June with MSP, Ecosense and the landscaper. The following was discussed:
- The pathway will be completed by the landscaper as well as a bench will be put into the bird hide.
- The concrete pipes will be removed and there will be a cover placed on the drain hole.
- The weeding will be done by the landscaping team and the alien clearing will be done by my alien clearing team.
- MSP will look into placing leopard toad holes in each unit and holes on the outer boundary concrete wall. A discussion was made which slate design to use for the fencing around each
- Mr Mark Ogilvie, Ms Cassandra Sheasby and I attended Soralia Village AGM on the 29th of June. Mark did a presentation to the home owners explaining MEEF and he addressed any problems that the home owners pointed out.
5. Muizenberg East
Alien clearing has been started by a private company on the 28th of June. They will be clearing MSP land excluding the conservation area. When I did speak to the workers, they were going to still apply herbicide but I will monitor the situation.