Monthly Report for March 2011
1.1 Control measures:
- I spent majority of March at Soralia Private Nature Reserve clearing the Acacia salinga (Port Jackson). Since I have no labour staff, I have to do all the work and a simple task takes longer to finish because of the staff shortage.
- 3 x Meroles knoxii (Knox’s Desert Lizard)
2 x Felis silvestris catus (domestic cat)
2 x Pycnonotus capensis (Cape Bulbul)
4 x Francolinus capensis ( Cape Spurfowl)
2 x Prinia maculosa (Spotted Prinia)
11 x Estrilda astrild ( Common waxbill)
2 x Telophorus zeylonus (Bokmakierie)
4 x female Ploceus capensis (Cape weaver)
1 x male Nectarinia chalybea ( Lesser Doublecollared sunbird)
1 x female Nectarinia chalybea ( Lesser Doublecollared sunbird)
5 x Onychognathus morio (Red-winged starling)
1 x Raphicerus melanotis (Grysbok) spoor
8 x Estrilda astrild ( Common waxbill)
1: Grysbok spoor at Soralia
3. Site Inspections and Safety Checks
- During the site inspection for Soralia Village, I noted that the
concrete pipes were still on the site and there was no cover for the drain.
The pathway is in a good condition, no nails exposed.
- Overall the site is looking good. I like the conservation board that MSP put up at the, it is informative and the pictures on the board are creative.
4. Chevron development Bradypodion pumilum (Cape Dwarf Chameleon) count
A chameleon count was done at the Chevron development. It was done to see if any chameleon has returned to the site since last year’s search and rescue.
The Zandvlei staff and I found 3 young (few days old); 4 adults and 1 pregnant female. It was good to see that the site is a breeding area for the chameleons.
5. Meetings and seminars
- I attended the City of Cape Town branch meeting at Kenilworth Race Course Nature Reserve. Various matters were addressed concerning the nature reserves within the City’s boundary.
Mr. Ogilvie, Ms.Schroeder and I attended a meeting with Multiprojects to discuss the levy matter. Mr. Ogilvie will be attending the next trustee meeting as well as presenting a presentation at the AGM.